Our History
A short history of the Assembly Hall and the people who helped establish it. (Written in 2006 to mark the 100th anniversary of the Assembly)
The Assembly meetings commenced in a hut used as an Estate Office on the opposite side of the road to the current building. The first gatherings were small, but they marked the beginning of a faithful local witness on the Island.
In 1906 the work began in earnest when Mr. Callow, a Christian builder from a North London Assembly, came with his son from Leominster to build property on the Island. They saw the potential for people to commute to the city, but the hoped-for railway link never materialised. To this day Mersea remains truly an island when the tide covers the Strood.
The Assembly work was started together with the wives of Mr. Callow and his son, and Mr. Charles Hearsum, who cycled nine miles from Colchester to join and give help. Later, after World War I, Mr. Hearsum, his wife and their three sons moved to the Island.
A new hall was built and opened in June 1910. Additions were added in 1926 and 1934 by local brethren, allowing the Assembly to grow and serve the Island community.

During 1910 Mr. Samuel Glen, a Counties Evangelist for Essex, joined the Assembly. Blessing was seen as he worked in the gospel locally and in the surrounding villages, and then onto Maldon and Braintree.

Assemblies were later established in Maldon and Braintree as the work grew. People from the Island and surrounding areas were saved, baptised and received into the fellowship of the Assembly. Several from Maldon and Colchester were also baptised in the Hall.
The first baptism in the hall took place in January 1921, and the first wedding was held in July 1926.
Mr. Glen's daughter and her husband remain among those in Assembly fellowship today. In 1929 Miss Fereday came to live on the Island, and her brother, the late W. W. Fereday, also came to give help in the Assembly.
During World War II Mr. J. B. Glenville was stationed in Mersea and was often seen walking to Assembly gatherings carrying his large Bible. After the war he continued to visit, minister the Word of God, and preach the gospel until he was no longer able.
Some members of the fellowship, now in their 80s, remember the large Sunday School led by the local GP Dr. Grant, who was well respected for his testimony among the Islanders. Gospel Meetings saw the hall full, many being fishermen. People walked from East and West Mersea to attend the meetings, often twice or three times on a Lord's Day.
There were Bible classes for young men and young women, who were systematically taught the Word of God, saved, baptised and received into the fellowship. Many respected brethren came to minister the Word of God, and those serving abroad would come to give reports of assembly work in Africa, India, Paraguay, France and Thailand. In 1972 monthly ministry meetings were commenced and continue to this day.